Saturday, October 22, 2011

Tools That Change the Way We Think


"Back in 2004, I asked [Google founders] Page and Brin what they saw as the future of Google search. 'It will be included in people's brains,' said Page. 'When you think about something and don't really know much about it, you will automatically get information.'

'That's true,' said Brin. 'Ultimately I view Google as a way to augment your brain with the knowledge of the world. Right now you go into your computer and type a phrase, but you can imagine that it could be easier in the future, that you can have just devices you talk into, or you can have computers that pay attention to what's going on around them and suggest useful information.'

'Somebody introduces themselves to you, and your watch goes to your web page,' said Page. 'Or if you met this person two years ago, this is what they said to you... Eventually you'll have the implant, where if you think about a fact, it will just tell you the answer."

-From In the Plex by Steven Levy (p.67)





      Some like to say the the excessive use of internet/technology/media is a negative; it makes us lazy and unappreciative. It distracts us and throws our priorities out of whack. But, the technology can't be blamed for someone that has a will made of Silly Puddy instead of iron. The internet doesn't go around abusing itself. It's people that do that. I think technology is amazing, and it gets better and better all the time. Why work hard when we can work smart and be more efficient? Now, I'm not perfect, and yes, I get very easily distracted when I'm on my laptop, but that's my problem, and that's something that I personally need to work on. But, c'mon, you have to admit some of the stuff technology can do today is pretty cool, though a little unnerving after the "Filter Bubbles". I have the world at my fingertips right now, and it feels pretty sweet. I have tons of information and tons of sources at my disposal. Some things, you just can't learn from a book. There's no "Parkour for Dummies" as far as I know. But, with the help of the internet, I can easily look up videos of professional athletes and study their techniques, or I can find word-for-word interviews with Levi Meeuwenberg or Brian Orosco on the subject. To me, that's just amazing. I can skip the hours of researching at the library, and I can use that time to do something more useful, or at least more interesting. But, that's just me, I suppose. 

No comments:

Post a Comment