Tuesday, October 18, 2011

To Facebook or Not to Facebook?

          I'm a Facebook user. I post or chat almost every night. It's really an amazing social networking machine, and it helps me to stay connected with my friends here, and my friends from my home town in Ohio. It's a way for people to share their thoughts and information, and to communicate with one another. There's really nothing wrong with Facebook as long as people make smart decisions when they post. I think most of us are capable of that. The problem is that younger users aren't totally aware of the dangers that come with social networking, and they don't grasp the fact that what they post will stay online FOREVER, and that anyone can access that information. As far as Facebook using our status updates and our "likes" as statistics, and probably releasing this information to producers, I really don't care. That's just the real world. To major business owners, we're all just numbers. That's the way it is. I mean, these guys aren't monsters. They're all for anti-bullying, and they're partners in the Amber Alert system. I do wish they would just be a bit more sensitive to the children, and not share their information. But, young kids are the most impressionable, so, we know that's not going to happen.
           I was actually leaning towards thinking that Facebook was a completely negative thing, but a couple people said some things that made me think a little bit more, and now my attitude is sort of like, "Eh, whatever. 'Not a big deal." Someone said that more parents are on Facebook because they've become more comfortable with technology, and I agree, and it's fantastic. We may not be able to get away with as much with our parents adding us as friends, but that's actually a good thing. I did STUPID things on myspace, and I wish my parents had gotten involved sooner. As far as reading the article, I'm more aware now of what Facebook is all about, and how they see their users, and I'll remember that from now on anytime I post or "like" something.

No comments:

Post a Comment