Tuesday, November 8, 2011

Major Concept




      Last week, we talked about memes, phrases, styles, or behaviors that spread through a culture. I was reminded of this while I was having a conversation with a friend last night via text message. She had texted "SMH", and I had no idea what she was talking about. I thought about trying to act like I knew what she had said, but finally I just had to ask her. I guess it's in human nature to want to fit in. I know Dr. Preston said that memes separate people, but it didn't really hit me until I wasn't part of the in-crowd. It really just made me think about people and how we interact with each other, and how we all seem to be on some sort of quest to be noticed. Then, I thought about how weird it is that we join groups, and that's how we end up identifying ourselves as individuals. That doesn't make much sense, but we do it. We've been doing it forever. Is it still called "labeling"? (Clearly I'm not part of the in-crowd). Memes can either bring individual people together, or they can separate groups of people, but I think we also do that ourselves. You can always ask what someone means when they say something, but something stops us sometimes. It could be embarrassment, or it could be that we're intimidated. I don't know, but I think I've meditated on this too much already. Anyways, my conversation with my friend reminded me of Abbott and Costello's "Who's on First?". Very funny, and I think it gets the point across.

No comments:

Post a Comment