Wednesday, October 19, 2011

In Search Of

1)I had no idea that if two people typed in the exact same words into the same search engine, they would get different results based on where they are in the world, or what type of computer they use.
2)I feel so weird now. It's almost creepy. No...it is creepy that the internet is sort of...learning things about me, and when I type something into Google or Bing, it will only give me what it thinks I want. This is especially creepy to me because one of my biggest phobias is that computers will develop minds of their own and take over the world. -.-'
3)When I type something into Google, what sort of things does the Google take into consideration when it's putting together my results? Is it just based on where I am and other things I've searched in the past? And, who are these mathematicians crunching these numbers and coming up with these algorithms? They're obviously super smart, so what if there's this league of super geniuses that have taken over the internet and rigged it to give us only the information that they want us to see? Holy crap, what if the government's in on it? What if, as I'm typing this on my laptop, the internet is reading what I'm typing and notifying the FBI RIGHT NOW, and next thing I know, I'll have government officials at my door to take me away and brainwash me. Whoa, this is some scary stuff. -.-'
4)I guess I could start by searching for documents with only specific combinations of key words in them. I could also go to multiple different websites for information to cross check the information I get online. And, now that I know a little more about how the internet works, I could perform searches from both my laptop and my ipod just to see how different my results are.

       After watching the Filter Bubbles video, I took a different approach to this research thing. I used my laptop and my ipod to do a search on Google for the key words "Shakespeare", "life", "personal", and "timeline". I got the exact same results on each. Then, I switched to Bing, and got different links when I typed in the same key words. Then, I switched from using Google Chrome to using Internet Explorer, and typed the same key words into both Google and Bing. I came up with the same links as before. So, right now it looks like it's the search engine that causes differences in the same web searches, but who knows? Someone else in another city could do the same search and get different results. I feel like I was thorough enough for my purposes, though. -.-'

No comments:

Post a Comment